Saturday, July 16, 2005

Los Angelitos

Well I haven't been to one of the Corazon de Vida orphanages in a while, and I've been looking forward to this one for a few weeks. The day started off rather eventfully, one of the young girls on board did not have her ID with her so she couldn't go and had to stay behind. About an hour and a half into the trip, the bus blew out a tire while on the 5 freeway. I can't believe it took 3 and a half hours for someone to come and change the tire. While we were waiting on the side of the freeway, a three car accident happened next to us. Less than an hour later, a big rig carrying liquified petroleum gas stalled two lanes next to us. It was rather eerie, as that general area of the freeway had some sort of negative vortex or something. A couple that were on the bus decided that they had to get off since one of them had to work later and wasn't sure that they'd be back in time. Despite the delay and the restlessness that was spreading within the bus, George, our trip leader kept a cool head and managed to get us going again.

Anyway, seven hours, that's right, SEVEN hours later we finally made it to TJ and to the orphanage. This one is called Little Angels or Los Angelitos. It is run by a Baptist Christian ministry led by an American named Ed. As soon as I stepped off the bus, the long bus ride quickly faded into memory. What was in front of me now were the smiling faces of these children. I don't know what it is, maybe because I'm feeling the paternal need to have children of my own or maybe because these kids are just so cute, but I just feel that nothing else matters at that moment but just spending time with them. We were lucky to have spent at least a couple of hours at the home at least. One of them, Celina, managed to get the CDV bracelet I just bought... no problem though. She was wearing it proudly and showing it off to her sister. The kids here were pretty behaved and not as rambunctious as some of the others in the other homes. Maybe because the adult to kid ratio is higher than others. It also seems like Ed runs a tight ship. I saw him telling one of the girls to pick up some litter on the ground, to make sure to keep the place looking clean especially with the guests. He was saying this in Spanish, but I think that's what he said.

Anyhow, all good things must come to an end and we had to board the bus and head out again. The trip back home didn't take as long, thankfully. I resolved to try to go to the orphanage again very soon.

No comments: